Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
We all know it's essential to stay hydrated during the summer months. But did you know it's just as important to keep hydrated during the winter?
Despite the colder temperatures and lower humidity, our bodies still need water to function properly. The dry air and indoor heating can make us even more susceptible to dehydration during the winter months.
Symptoms of dehydration
Dehydration can cause a range of symptoms, such as dry skin, fatigue, headache, and constipation, and even make you more prone to getting sick. These symptoms can be especially concerning during the winter months when flu and colds are more common.
Why do we tend to drink less water in the winter?
Many people drink less water in the winter because they don't feel as thirsty. But it's important to remember that thirst is not always an accurate indicator of our hydration levels. Additionally, many people tend to consume more dehydrating fluids, such as alcohol, caffeine, or hot chocolate, during the winter months.
How much water do we need?
It's important to drink enough water every day to stay hydrated. The exact amount of water needed can vary depending on a person's age, gender, weight, activity level, and other factors. Still, a general guideline is to drink at least 8 cups of water per day.
It's also a good idea to be mindful of your water intake and drink water throughout the day, rather than trying to drink a lot of water all at once.
Fluid intake other than water
Drinking water is one of many ways to stay hydrated. Consuming fluids like milk, juice, herbal teas, and soups can contribute to your hydration. Eating fruits and vegetables that have a high water content, like cucumbers and watermelon, can also help.
Staying hydrated is critical year-round, and the winter months are no exception. Paying attention to your hydration levels can help keep your body healthy and functioning properly during the coldest months of the year.
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment – Important Dates and What’s New
- Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period is Here!
- How to Prepare for the 2019 Medicare Annual Enrollment Period
- Medicare: The Difference Between AEP and OEP
- Is Plan F (Medicare) Going Away?
- How to Choose a Primary Physician
- How to Store Your Life Insurance Records
- Prepare a Health Care Package for Your College Student
- 5 Portion Control Tips
- What Does MACRA Mean for You?