Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment – Important Dates and What’s New
The open enrollment period for the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) here. Signed into law in 2014, the legislation overhauled and expanded regulations to the nation’s health care system. This year, not much has changed in Washington, but the marketplace is shifting and deadlines will still need to be met.
One of the constants which has carried through year after year has been the period of time you may enroll in an approved plan. For plans beginning January 1, 2020, the first day you may begin enrolling is November 1.
The enrollment period remains open for a month and a half, closing on December 15. If you do not take action by this date, you will be unable to obtain coverage unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) which generally includes a household resident:
- Got married
- Passed away
- Had a baby, adopted or place a child into foster care
- Got divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance
There are also Special Enrollment Periods for household moves. If you move to a new zip code, to the U.S. from a foreign country, to/from your school, to/from where you both live and work, or to/from a shelter, you may qualify for coverage outside the open enrollment period.
From a legal perspective, 2019 saw the elimination of the individual health insurance mandate and the tax penalty associated with it. This means you had more options heading into open enrollment last year. You could have selected a health exchange plan, short-term medical option, hospital plan, or gone without entirely.
What is new for the upcoming ACA enrollment period will be the broadened selection of plans available to you. According to an eHealth survey, almost half of all insurers said they intend to increase the number of ACA plan offerings. This means you will have more coverage options available to you and the potential to see competitive pricing.
Choosing a Plan With more plan options expected his year, navigating the plans available to you can be confusing. As your agent, I am here to help. Please call me anytime to help you evaluate and select a plan that meets your personal insurance needs – and your budget.
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment – Important Dates and What’s New
- Medicare’s Open Enrollment Period is Here!
- How to Prepare for the 2019 Medicare Annual Enrollment Period
- Medicare: The Difference Between AEP and OEP
- Is Plan F (Medicare) Going Away?
- How to Choose a Primary Physician
- How to Store Your Life Insurance Records
- Prepare a Health Care Package for Your College Student
- 5 Portion Control Tips
- What Does MACRA Mean for You?